> [about my 3c589D card troubles]
>
> John> Is it a combo card?  If so, you might have to set the media for
> John> it to work right.
>
> The media is set to 10BaseT/UTP

How do you know?  At least with the older driver, different versions of
the card required different link flags, despite what was set in the
EPROM.

Try doing a:
ifconfig inet ... -link0 link1
*or*
ifconfig inet ... link0 -link1

and see if it acts normally.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes it won't switch correctly 'on the
fly', and I need to remove, modify the settings in /etc/rc.conf, and
then re-insert the card to have it 'do the right thing'.

(I've got the link settings in my ifconfig_pccard line so I can easily
switch between the different network settings...)

Nate