Nenhum_de_Nos pisze:
hail,

I have an old AthlonXP 1700+ running 7-STABLE:

FreeBSD xxx 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Nov 13 23:54:59
BRT 2008 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/xxx i386

where I have two 750GB Seagate SATA Disks. They are divided as two slices,
around the first 120GB are gathered in gmirror, and what left is in
gstripe. so that's whats going on. if the machine locks, and fsck comes to
make its job, the box just gets slower and slower till I have to reset it
the hard way. to make it not lock after just 5 minutes I have to boot and
umount the "arrays", and then run fsck_ufs on them. so this way I can have
the box running again.
Did you mean that machine slows down while doing background fsck? If yes, problem is probably related to snapshot which is created, and background fsck is done on snapshot.

as I can't count on no power outage till the end of days, what can I do ?

You may just disable background fsck and do it manually in single user mode in that case just by typing fsck -y.
i just recompiled stable to make it stop this, but no go here ...

this is an AthlonXP as said, running on EPoX kt600 based board, sata I is
from via southbridge and 1GB of RAM. just another 40GB disk to the system.

thanks,

matheus
If I am correct, your problem is old known and mksnap_ffs related. Jeremy Chadwick wrote a lot about it:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

Good luck.

--
Bartosz Stec