having used mergemaster "billions and billions" of times:

you can run it from any directory.

   Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 06:27:46 +0200
   From: Szilveszter Adam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 05:46:51PM -0400, Mbwa wrote:

   > > Have you also upgraded the Handbook?:-) It is now possible by going to an
   > > ftp mirror site and cd-ing to /pub/FreeBSD/doc/<your language>/ and
   > > downloading
   > > the docs in the wanted format. I only ask this because the new docs should
   > > have pointers to mergemaster...
   >

   > I just downloaded the book.html.zip from ftp.freebsd.org and I didn't notice
   > any reference to mergemaster.  Where can I get more info regarding this utility

   OK, I was caught at this:-) The Handbook is still not updated to reflect
   this (although I remembered otherwise) so you should see man page for
   mergemaster(8)... it is in the base system for 3.4 for sure (and of course
   above) but normally you do not need much documentation for using it:

   cd to /usr/src/etc and say 'mergemaster'. It will build a temproot
   environment under /var/tmp/temproot just as the Handbook does tell you but
   you do not have to do it by hand and also it automatically diffs the files
   in /etc and the temproot and if it spots any differences, you are given the
   choice of installing the new file as is, to keep the old file (eg you should
   do this with master.passwd) or to merge the two. It can also leave the file
   untouched and then you can finish it up later by hand. After it is finished,
   it asks if you want to delete the old temproot. (which you normally want to
   do, unless there are files you want to deal with by hand.)

   --
   Regards:

   Szilveszter ADAM
   Szeged University