On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 03:41:48PM +0000, Bruce Simpson wrote:
> Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> >Your controller looks like i82550. 82550/82551 has nice hardware
> >cryptographic capability for IPSec acceleration but it's not used
> >at all under FreeBSD. Intel's open source developer manual didn't
> >even mention the existence of cryptographic capability.
> >

> I had a crack at this about 5-6 years ago.
>
> Now that the descriptor ring format is fairly well known for fxp, reverse
> engineering is feasible, as the setup uses the normal NDIS hooks which
> Microsoft added for offloading cryptographic operations. Those *are*
> documented.

I don't think the descriptor format is well known for IPSec
processing. Intel didn't even show VLAN related bit in 82550/82551
Rx descriptor format.

What might be hard to know would be
  o what kind of acceleration is done by hardware and how to active
    specific features
  o how SAs are managed in hardware
  o errata information

> Making it work is another matter entirely...

AFAIK hardware supported by fxp(4) and txp(4) can offload IPSec
processing. Sun's Cassini+ also seems to have rudimentary support
for IPSec packets but I'm not sure how useful it is. Because I
don't use IPSec at all I have no interests in IPSec acceleration
at this moment. 3Com's Typhoon2 datasheet gives more information on
IPSec acceleration so it would be easier to start with txp(4).