Roland Smith writes:

Is there anything else from su in the logfiles? That might help narrow down
where it crashes.
No, other than the same “uid 0: exited on signal 11” for login, su and cron. What we see is after the fork, child process run for some time and crashes.

Are you using the standard FreeBSD su? If not, check your
modifications. Does the version of the userland that you are using match
the version of the kernel?
Our su is slightly modified. Tomorrow, I can try with standard su. Our userland is in some areas different. We normally try to use newer versions wherever possible. Our build method used to produce acceptable systems till FreeBSD 7.0. Its only on FreeBSD 7.2 now this issue. Other than that there is no other noticeable issue.

I've verified that 'su -l' works fine on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 on the
amd64 architecture. What you could do is run 'su -l' under a debugger.

I just ran our normal su (without debugging info) under gdb:
gdb /usr/bin/su
GNU gdb 6.6
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd7.2"...
(no debugging symbols found)
(gdb) run -l
Starting program: /usr/bin/su -l
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
su: not running setuid Program exited with code 01.

ls -l /usr/bin/su
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root freebsd 14452 Jun 28 13:50 /usr/bin/su This shows su is setuid root. Anyway, I'll run su with debugging info tomorrow.
regards
Sagara