Eugene Grosbein writes:
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:13:38AM +0800, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
Hi Eugene, thanks for the reply. The issue we discussed is about internal multi-card readers. For internal multi-card readers, the umassX created at boot time. If there is media inside at boot time, the device node for slices are also created. There is no issue about it. But the issue is after boot up, later some time, if you plug in a media card, FreeBSD does not generate any devd event. This needs to be fixed at the FreeBSD end, appreciate if the FreeBSD community actively fix it soon.

If there is no devd event really, you can setup cron job to poll
your reader as a workaround. Or feel free to hack driver so it would
generate events for devd :-)

cat /dev/devctl shows nothing get to devd on media insertion. Poll via cron is not a solution. How often to poll? People expect immediate access to the card once plug in. At boot umassX, passX, daX are already setup for the reader. Once a card (media) is plug in, we expect a devd notification as follows: !system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=daXs1
Once the media is taken out, we expect a devd notification as follows:
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=daXs1 Where above X depends on which slot a card is plug in. If you conversant in this area, could you help us to identify what is/are the exact function/s in which program/s to look into identify the media insertion activity, so that we can generate relevant devd event.
Regards
Sagara