On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Bruce Simpson wrote:

6 months on, ataraid(4) did it again.

This time, I was lucky -- I caught in in time, but the damage to the filesystem meant having to use fsdb to NULL out the affected inodes; mounting read-only, tarring, and untarring across the network, after a newfs, let me save the affected partition. All I was doing at the time was srm'ing a few sensitive files; all the processes wedged in WCHAN getblk. It seems ataraid(4) is not robust against temporary drive/controller problems. The SMART logs on the affected array drives all check out just fine, there are no bad block remaps.

So, time to either buy a hardware RAID controller, or move to ZFS...

Out of fear of what ataraid may do to me especially with Intel MatrixRAID[1], I switched to using gmirror awhile back, and it has worked well. When I buy some new drives soon, I am considering using gvinum with 8.0, but I need to find out more.

Anyone know if I can boot off of a gvinum partition and/or how it works (or does not) with various label schemes?

Sean
  1. http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting
--
s...@freebsd.org