On Friday 21 August 2009 02:56, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have a quad-core system that I updated to 8.0 about 2 weeks
ago. It
> ran fine until yesterday when I used the PATA/ATAPI DVD drive to
read a
> disk. Then the fun began. I saw two totally different presentations,
but
> I hope that they both are manifestations of the same problem.

[snip]

i have no idea about the second problem, but the 1st one it's not
fbsd-specific. it has happened to me on a linux box. repeatedly i
might add. after a couple of hours playing videos, X would use 100%
of cpu and i wasn't able to switch to a VTY or kill it via ctrl-alt-
backspace.
i think it might be a problem related to mplayer, but i'm not sure,
cause it did not crash, so no bad-behavour log.
on the linux box, it's easy to handle (just /etc/rc.d/kdm restart via
ssh). But since fbsd doesn't use kdm it's only reboot.

i don't use mplayer or X on my fbsd box so i don't really know on what
version X or mplayer are. The problem has stopped happening on the
linux box. it uses mplayer 29411-3 and xorg-server 1.6.3-3.

just my 2 cents