(Sorry, update to subject to be <something>)

3 weeks ago:
I upgraded from 7.1-PRELEASE to -stable and all seemed fine
until I rebooted out of single user mode after doing make
installworld and mergemaster.  At that point, near the
end of the boot sequence I got a core dump, apparently
triggered by devd.

****
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
cpu id = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x3030313a
fault code = supervisor write, page not present
[snip]
current process = 355 (devd)
****

I redid the *whole* process in single user mode, yet no
difference.  I was out of town for 2.5 weeks after
that, then busy for a few days, which brings me to now:

TODAY:
I booted to my memtest86+ CD, let it run through which it
did with no issues noted.
I blew away my /usr/src and resynced as of about noon
today.  After following through all steps to rebuild, I
now get a fatal trap 12...

****
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
cpu id = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x3030313a
fault code = supervisor write, page not present
[snip]
current process = 352 (sysctl)
****

Same virtual address, different process.  Umm.
Interesting.

I'm at a loss.  Google's been of little help, and
searching these lists hasn't turned up much either.

Does anyone have a further recommendation on what to do,
try, test or change?

BTW, I'm GENERIC.

Rich Mahlerwein