On 11 Sep 2009, at 5:45, Andrew Snow wrote:

Peter C. Lai wrote:
What is the status of growfs(8) then?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't work reliably with UFS2 partitions, and it doesn't work at all with large partitions.

People who do try to use it, can end up with corrupted filesystems... and the code is currently unmaintained.

Aha, I forgot about that step, but I did indeed use growfs to expand it. Is there any way to repair the corruption without erasing my data, or do I need to buy an external disk to backup to first (which I need for backups anyway)? If so, what's the pattern of the corruption? Is it likely to only start after a certain size?

Lastly, having a tool in the base system that causes these kinds of issues doesn't seem like a very good idea. growfs does issue a warning that made me read the bugs section in the man page. That section points to an ffsinfo command that I ran on the filesystem in question, but it appears to be alright:

===== START CYLINDER SUMMARY =====
# 0...@28202000: 0. csum in fscs
ndir   int32_t 0x00000001
nbfree int32_t 0x00002474
nifree int32_t 0x00005bfd
nffree int32_t 0x0000000d
===== END CYLINDER SUMMARY =====

The filesystem is 740G, which seems to fit in the 'critical data structure'; 1480 < 0x2474...

Or is this a different (and undocumented) issue?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is the best way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:74,4aaa10f412071914714074!