Hi,

> If that one uses the LSI1068 chipset, do you know which one uses the
> LSI1078 chipset?

Supermicro's AOC-USAS-H8iR uses LSI1078:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS-H8iR.cfm

Dell PERC 6/i is based on LSI1078 as well.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pvaul/topics/en/us/raid_controller?c=us&l=en&cs=555

However, these cards are full-blown RAID controllers with their own
CPU, memory and corresponding price.

>  I've seen that number in the comments in one of the mf* drivers (think it
> was mfi).

Yes, it is indeed mfi that supports LSI1078.

> How does one determine which actual chipset is in which controller?  Do they
> have that buried in the docs somewhere?

The docs, if you're lucky. Cards listed above mention controller chip
explicitly on the product pages.

--Artem