On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

On Fri, 01.01.2010 at 15:47:36 -0800, Derek Kulinski wrote:
Hello,

After installing FreeBSD 8.0 I noticed that some characters aren't displayed correctly (it worked fine for 7.2).

Mainly the dash character is most noticeable (though it's possible it's more of them).

Example:
env LANG=C man sh
env LANG=pl_PL.UTF-8 man sh
env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 man sh

The first command shows everything fine, the later two seem to show some unprintable character in place of every dash (i.e. in the second paragraph word "built-in", or the dashes that break up the words at the end of the line)

me too, though I'm only setting LC_CTYPE to de_DE.UTF-8 and I don't always see it. It must be some combination of xterm/ssh and/or putty that breaks this.

On the other hand, I thought there was a commit done, that would render - (the dash) always as - (0x2d) so you can copy&paste the examples from the manpage into your shell.

But perhaps I was just dreaming this up?

The last commit that I recall (r192561) fixed dashes in front of options (.Fl macro) but not dashes present within a man page. Personally, I just create an alias for man to call 'LANG=C man' to protect against examples with non-ASCII (U+002D) dashes.

Read the commit message[1] for a better explanation of unresolved issues.

Sean
  1. http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=192561
--
s...@freebsd.org