On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Ivan Voras wrote:

It looks like I've stumbled upon a bug in vSphere 4 (recent update) with FreeBSD/amd64 8.0/8-stable (but not 7.x) guests on Opteron(s). In this combination, everything works fine until a moderate load is started - a buildworld is enough. About five minutes after the load starts, the vSphere client starts getting timeouts while talking with the host and soon after the guest VM is forcibly shut down without any trace of a reason in various logs. The same VM runs fine on hosts with Xeon CPUs. The shutdown happens regardless if there is a vSphere client connected.

This is very repeatable, on Sun Fire X4140 hosts.

With 7.x/7.stable guests everything works fine.

I'm posting this for future reference and to see if anyone has encountered something like that, or has an idea why this happens.

Is it related to this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-February/054755.html

I have been fighting other issues (mainly countless "Command WRITE(10) took X.XYZ seconds" in the VM's vmware.log file under moderate I/O) with VMware Workstation 7 on a Linux host with an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, but I still have more testing to see if I can work through it. I also do not want to take over this thread.

Sean
--
s...@freebsd.org