Quoting Borja Marcos <bor...@sarenet.es> (from Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:26:09 +0100):

Of course CPUs have bugs, I don't doubt it. I was just wondering how I coud reproduce the problem with a different hardware :) That's why I said it was unlikely.

Besides, such a low level fault should produce many more problems than such a well defined failure mode, as far as I know.

In my case I had a 7.1 system which was running fine. After updating to 7.2 I got deadlocks after some minutes with UFS. Switching to ZFS for the main data partition extended the lifetime to 3-4 hours. After updating ZFS in 7-stable with the code from 8-stable this was extended to 6 hours (periodic daily triggered the problem faster), and after switching to exclusive locks instead of shared locks in ZFS the system survived a night with several jails running periodic daily (but I had to reboot in the morning because apache was not able to serve data anymore). Everything else was working correctly. I would say this was a very narrow problem case.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Adult, n.: