On Mar 18, 2010, at 20:42, Ian Smith <smi...@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Kevin Oberman wrote:
Since the update of DPMS to support amd64 on March 2, it has broken
rather badly on my ThinkPad T43 laptop. The problem showed up on
8-stable built on March 3 and is still present after an update to stable
of March 17.

When in vty text mode, after the idle normal delay, the display blanks,
but the backlight remains on, so the P in DPMS seems to be less than
effective. At that point, the non-graphics display is dead. It never
comes back when characters are entered. I can't get the display to come
back without a reboot.

I can, however, start X (and Gnome) and everything is fine. But
switching back to any vty results in a blank screen.

Any idea what happened and if there is a fix or workaround? Any data I
can collect?

Have you tried kldloading vesa? Might be a workaround until you find a proper fix? Had a similar issue with my T23 at one stage on 7.0, after
a suspend/resume cycle, which hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 also
helped .. no idea how the T43 might respond to the latter.

Thanks, Ian, but it didn't help. The hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch sysctl is only relevant to resuming from suspend and I think I was the one who suggested it to you. I used to have T23 & used it on that systeem.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Sent from my iPod