On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Kevin Oberman wrote:

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 03:14:54 -0700
From: Jeremy Chadwick <free...@jdc.parodius.com>
Sender: owner-freebsd-sta...@freebsd.org

I disagree (so what else is new?)  It should be kept out of the base
system.  KISS:

Doug pulling BIND out of the base system / going ports-only = excellent.

Doug making a separate port for BIND-esque DNS query/maintenance tools =
excellent.

Both of the above can be made into packages.  Vendors who use FreeBSD
can incorporate said package(s) into their build infrastructure.  Folks
who do not have Internet connections (yet for some reason want said DNS
tools) can install the package(s) from CD/DVD/USB.

I want the bikeshed to be black.  :-)

I have very mixed feelings on this. I agree with arguments I have seen
on both sides. I like being able to install FreeBSD and have a well
integrated system with all of the basic tools installed for basic
use. Things play together well.

I don't use many of the base system tools. I use cups, postfix,
customized ssh, and the ports version of BIND. I don't build the stuff I
don't need (src.conf) and I don't mind them being there.

On the other hand, for complex, heavy duty ports, keeping up to date
with externally maintains tools (contrib) is a pain and the base system
can get stuck with rather out of date tools as a result. (Remember
perl?) Unless there is very strong support for a contributed tools, it's
hopeless and, if the tool is evolving rapidly, as BIND is with DNSSEC,
it's still hopeless.

I really dread having to update my ports.  I hate all the bloated
dependencies that a lot of ports have.  It's sometimes a hit or miss
situtation; you never know whether your ports are going to build
(update) fully or not.  And it takes forever.  Our ports team
does a fantastic job, so no diss intended.  But I am concerned
about moving BIND into ports, even if there is a tools-only port.

With BIND in base, I don't have to worry about updating or when
to update - someone else decides when to update/patch the base
BIND and I am happy with that.  All I have to do is buildworld,
which I do much more often than update ports.

If there is already a WITHOUT_BIND knob, then I really don't
see what advantage there is in moving BIND out of base.  Anyone
that wants to use a different resolver can already do that,
with the only limitation that they have to buildworld to
remove the base bind.

--
DE