On 7/22/2010 9:22 PM, Pawel Tyll wrote:
I do not think I can adjust the existing zpool on the fly.  I think I
need to copy everything elsewhere (i.e the 2 empty drives).  Then start
the new zpool from scratch.

You can, and you should (for educational purposes if not for fun :>),
unless you wish to change raidz1 to raidz2. Replace, wait for
resilver, if redoing used disk then offline it, wipe magic with dd
(16KB at the beginning and end of disk/partition will do), carry on
with GPT, rinse and repeat with next disk. When last vdev's replace
finishes, your pool will grow automagically.

Pawell and I had an online chat about part of my strategy.  To be clear:

I have a 5x2TB raidz1 array.

I have 2x2TB empty HDD

My goal was to go to raidz2 by:
- copy data to empty HDD
- redo the zpool to be raidz2
- copy back the data
- add in the two previously empty HDD to the zpol

I now understand that after a raidz array has been created, you can't add a new HDD to it. I'd like to, but it sounds like you cannot.

"It is not possible to add a disk as a column to a RAID-Z, RAID-Z2, or RAID-Z3 vdev." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Limitations

So, it seems I have a 5-HDD zpool and it's going to stay that way.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/