I work with a small number of FreeBSD 7.3p1 amd64 systems which are
running off of an MFS root partition loaded via a DVD, and there have
been a couple of problems with the mfsroot. I'd like to focus on one in
particular and see if the assembled minds here have any insight as to
what this might be.

Basically if I do this:

  # yes >/crashme

the system doesn't panic, there's no warning (except for some
random 'k' characters being output to the console) and the machine
simply resets.

I have some configuration details on the following URL:

  http://www.jetcafe.org/dave/freebsd/dvdconfig.html

for perusal. The df for said machine looks like so:

Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md0c          270M    231M     39M    85%    /
devfs              1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/acd0          606M    606M      0B   100%    /cd0
/dev/md1.uzip      254M    225M     29M    89%    /usr
/dev/md2            31M     30K     30M     0%    /usr_rw
<above>:/usr_rw    284M    254M     30M    89%    /usr
/dev/da1s1d        653G    1.0G    600G     0%    /rw
procfs             4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc

I would expect that a system running off of MFS would inform one via log
files or console messages when I fill up the root partition. I'd say
it's definately a bug but I'm not sure if it's mine or not. :)

Thanks in advance for any answers you all can provide.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - d...@jetcafe.org

A poor man shames us all.