On 06/08/2010, at 16:59, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>> Yeah, I don't think it's hard to move them, however I'm worried what
>> it will break :)
>>
>> The only thing I can see that would have to change would be kgdb so
>> it tells gdb where to find the symbols.
>
> That's why I suggested to place symlinks in the kernel
> directory.  No change to kgdb necessary.

Ahh of course.

Although that does make it harder because you have to modify all the links when
the old kernel is moved out of the way.

> It might even be possible to not install the symbol files
> at all, but keep them under /usr/obj, so the installkernel
> target would have to do nothing more than create symlinks.
> This could be controlled by a make.conf variable, like
> SYMLINK_SYMBOLS=YES ("NO" would be the existing behaviour
> of installing the actual symbol files in /boot/kernel).

Hmm, I think they would need to go elsewhere otherwise they wouldn't be
available to people who do binary installs, hence the usefulness of bug reports
would go down.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum