On 08/27/2010 01:03 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:
offtopic, but why do some mailers replace a CNAME in a mail-address?

r...@sheeva2:/var/vmail# host klop.yi.org
klop.yi.org CNAME thuis.klop.ws
thuis.klop.ws A 212.123.145.58

It is not the first time that I'm bitten by this, but I never understood
it.

You've already received all the right answers but I figured I'd respond too since this is my area. Given that klop.yi.org is a CNAME, and that the target hostname (thuis.klop.ws) has no MX record, the fact that you receive any mail at all is a tribute to the robustness principle. :)

If you're going to receive mail at thuis.klop.ws then you should really have an MX record for it. See http://dougbarton.us/DNS/MX.html for more information if you need more information or references to the standards. The simplest way to solve your mail delivery problem is to have the @hostname refer to a canonical host (I.e., with an A and/or AAAA record) which also has an MX record. If you insist on using klop.yi.org the _best_ way to do that would be to duplicate those 2 records from thuis.klop.ws. By adding an MX to thuis you are more likely to get mail if klop.yi.org is a CNAME to it, even though it's still not "right."

hth,

Doug

                        -- Pablo Picasso