When we moved to FreeBSD 7 from 6, issuing a kldunload for usb devices
started causing a kernel panic is a USB device was still plugged in
(like a keyboard).   The kldunload is done as part of an rc.d script
that unloads usb since it's not generally needed by our product unless
we mounted the root volume from a USB stick.

The order doesn't matter much, but doing:

kldunload ucom
kldunload umass
kldunload usb

panics with this stack:

panic @ time 1287356740.252, thread 0xffffff0016bd64a0: Fatal trap 12:
page fault while in kernel mode

cpuid = 2

Stack: --------------------------------------------------
kernel:trap_fatal+0xac
kernel:trap_pfault+0x24c
kernel:trap+0x3d9
kernel:pmap_kextract+0x70
kernel:free+0xcd
usb.ko:usb_disconnect_port+0xbd
usb.ko:uhub_detach+0xd2
kernel:device_detach+0xb3
kernel:device_delete_child+0x98
kernel:device_delete_child+0x66
usb.ko:uhci_pci_detach+0xac
kernel:device_detach+0xb3
kernel:devclass_delete_driver+0xde
kernel:driver_module_handler+0x11c
kernel:module_unload+0x41
kernel:linker_file_unload+0x19a
kernel:kern_kldunload+0x10a
kernel:isi_syscall+0x98
kernel:ia32_syscall+0x1cd

cpuid = 2; apic id = 12
fault virtual address   = 0xffff80403037b7a8
fault code              = supervisor read data, page not present
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xffffff8bfe2d0450
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xffffff8bfe2d0470
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0

The problem is that device_delete_child will recursively call
device_delete_child before calling device_detach().  When
device_detach resolves to uhub_detach, it attempts to call
usb_disconnect_port() which will iterate over the subdevs array.  Each
of the pointers of the subdevs array is pointing into already-free'd
storage; the free(9) came from the recursive call to
device_delete_child().  In this case the code is trying to dereference
0xdeadc0dedeadc0de since this is INVARIANTS with the malloc poisoning
on free(9).

So questions:

(1) is there a simple fix, like defining a devclass_t for the port
device, and having it do a detach method cleanup instead of
uhub_detach()?  I wasn't sure what to put in for the match method,
though.

(2) reorder the device_detach() with the recursive
device_delete_child() loop in device_delete_child()?  This makes me
pretty nervous as I don't know what else may break, possibly subtly.

(3) just don't kldunload?

I assume this doesn't happen in stable/8 and later due to the USB
stack rewrite, but I haven't actually checked.

Thanks,
matthew