On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 11:23:13PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
> But a number of devices seem to allow for MTUs > 1500 on 100Mb
> ethernet... and several people have told me that the standard allows
> for packets bigger than 1500 bytes.

The limit is 1536. That is hex 0x600, a value of importance if using
802.x networks. A value below 0x600  indicates the length of an additional
header in the EtherType field. If this value is above 0x600 it indicates a
certain protocol (such as 0x800 for IP, 0x806 for IP ARP).

I would not twiddle with the settings, the extra gain is very low and
you'll face all sorts of compatibility issues with devices not supporting
it.

        Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel                        Email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics        Phone: +64 7 8384794