On 1/4/2011 11:52 AM, John Hawkes-Reed wrote:
On 04/01/2011 03:08, Dan Langille wrote:
Hello folks,

I'm trying to discover if ZFS under FreeBSD will automatically pull in a
hot spare if one is required.

This raised the issue back in March 2010, and refers to a PR opened in
May 2009

* http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2010-March/007943.html
* http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=134491

In turn, the PR refers to this March 2010 post referring to using devd
to accomplish this task.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-March/055686.html

Does the above represent the the current state?

I ask because I just ordered two more HDD to use as spares. Whether they
sit on the shelf or in the box is open to discussion.

As far as our testing could discover, it's not automatic.

I wrote some Ugly Perl that's called by devd when it spots a drive-fail
event, which seemed to DTRT when simulating a failure by pulling a drive.

Without such a script, what is the value in creating hot spares?

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/