I was trying to upgrade a machine from RELEASE_6 (latest)
        to RELEASE_8 (latest) via source.  I was unable to get
        make buildworld to complete.

        There were two problems sets of problems.

        libelf and sys headers were not available to some of the
        solaris derived parts.  include_next's failed.  Adding extra
        -I's to the Makefiles allowed these parts to complete.  The
        first missing header was sys/elf.h so that should help
        locate the correct Makefile.

        Linking then failed due to __stack_chk_fail_local not being
        found.  i386 build.

        Sorry this report is not more complete as I blew away the
        tree and restarted on RELEASE_7 as a stepping stone to
        RELEASE_8.

        RELEASE_7 latest will at least compile. However it will
        only run in safe mode as it dies in ar5212Detach with a
        kernel fault.  I suspect this will also be a problem for
        RELEASE_8.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC