On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:
> How does partitioning work in FreeBSD?  GParted recognizes FAT16, FAT32,
> NTFS, ext2, ext3, ext4, swap, and many other formats but labels the FreeBSD
> partition as unknown.  Then there are the sub-partitions within the main
> FreeBSD partition.
>
> I'm finding it much more difficult to learn BSD than it was to learn Linux.
> However, I'm sure it will be worth it, as BSD is legendary for stability and
> is the basis for Mac OS and other proprietary systems.

I think this is the 2nd time you've asked something that is covered in
the Handbook.  Possibly you haven't gotten to the section yet (it's
under Chapter 3):

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-organization.html

Scroll down to "Benefit of a single file system" and read from there.

P.S. -- Just because learning BSD is more difficult doesn't mean BSD is
better (yes, you read that right).  Every operating system has its pros
and cons.  Please keep that in mind.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@parodius.com |