On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Bartosz Fabianowski <free...@chillt.de>wrote:

> Have you tried just using dd to copy the iso image of a Ubuntu / Linux
>> LiveCD to a suitably sized USB memory stick?
>> It has worked for me in the past.
>>

> As per Mehmet's tip, I did just that with a Debian image. If it works for
> Ubuntu images as well then I really wonder why the only documented way is
> via Unetbootin.
>
> - Bartosz

To reduce the number of files to maintain , some Linux distributions started
to generate .iso files both for CD/DVD burning  and USB stick dd copying .
Such distributions are mostly called "dual" or "hybrid" in their names with
.iso extension to distinguish them from only CD/DVD burning .iso files .

If an .iso is named for USB without "dual" or "hybrid" names , it is very
likely that it is prepared in such a way for USB dd copying .

With respect to my opinion , most .iso files which they are prepared for
CD/DVD burning will be able to boot and install from dd copied USB sticks
because .iso is a FILE format , NOT a DEVICE format .

The problem is not the file format but the ability of the operating system
to use devices . For example , I am seeing operating systems in CD , they
are booting from DVD drive ( because BIOS is loading their kernel , etc. )
but failing to install because their kernels , etc. are NOT able to use the
DVD drive when they are taking the control of the PC .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk