On Apr 28, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:33:22PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>> Does anyone else use ZFS to store TM backups?
>>
>> I find that whenever my laptop (over wifi!) starts a TM the ZFS machine it's
>> backing up to grinds to a halt.. Other systems streaming stuff over NFS from
>> it also tend to stall..
>>
>> I presume that TM is doing something which causes ZFS some issues but I'm
>> not sure how to find out what the real problem is let alone how to fix it..
>>
>> I am running FreeBSD midget.dons.net.au 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD
>> 8.2-PRERELEASE #8 r217094M: Sat Jan  8 11:15:07 CST 2011
>> dar...@midget.dons.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIDGET  amd64
>>
>> It is a 5 disk RAIDZ1 with 1.29Tb free using WD10EADS drives.
>>
>> I don't see any SMART errors or ZFS warnings.
>>
>> I have the following ZFS related tunables
>>
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="3072M"
>> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
>> vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=5
>> vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable=1
>
> Are the last two actually *working* in /boot/loader.conf?  Can you
> verify by looking at them via sysctl?  AFAIK they shouldn't work, since
> they lack double-quotes around the values.  Parsing errors are supposed
> to throw you back to the loader prompt.  See loader.conf(5) for the
> syntax.

In my /boot/loader.conf I have:

vfs.zfs.arc_max=6200000000
vfs.zfs.vdev.min_pending=4
vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending=8
vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=5
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1

And they all are properly reflected in sysctl values (no parse errors seen).

> Next, you COULD try using Samba/CIFS on the FreeBSD box to see if you
> can narrow the issue down to bad NFS performance.  Please see this post
> of mine about tuning Samba on FreeBSD (backed by ZFS) to get extremely
> good performance.  Many people responded and said their performance
> drastically improved (you can see the thread yourself).  The trick is
> AIO.  You can ignore the part about setting vm.kmem_size in loader.conf;
> that advice is now old/deprecated (does not pertain to you given the
> date of your kernel), and vfs.zfs.txg.write_limit_override is something
> you shouldn't mess with unless absolutely needed to leave it default:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-February/061642.html

Just wanted to note that we were having a terrible time with ZFS performance.
Copying just a single large file over the network would bring interactive
system usage to an absolute crawl (system is 2x xeons, 12gb ram). Thanks to
your optimizations we have great ZFS + Samba performance. We also use Netatalk
for afpd file sharing (though I have not tried Netatalk as a Time Machine
target) and our performance is quite good there as well.

Scott