I went from 4.0 release to 4.0 stable and when I installed apache and
modphp4 from ports the php4 side of it doesnt work.
It all compiles fine (apache and the php4 /usr/ports/www/mod_php4) but the
end result was either apache would load and any .php I requested would be
downloaded instead of executed or apache wouldnt even load.
And yes I was adding AddType application/x-httpd-php .php and AddType
application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
to the apache confile file

I sat there for about 24 hours worth of compiling most of the apache
choices(apache13, apache13-ssl, apache13-modssl)  in ports and deleteing and
adding the modphp4 and they all gave the same results.
I kept trying because I had faith that it was something I wasnt doing and
not the stable ports, but after a while I belived it was the modphp4 that
wasnt getting compiled properly even though there wasn't any error messages
in the compile.

I downloaded php4 from the www.php.net web site compiled/installed it (I
used apache from ports) and apache worked with php first time.

So I belive the /usr/ports/www/mod_php4 is dodgey and what happened to the
nice menu you used to get when installing apache from ports with the options
to choose mysql and php etc?