On 12/12/2011 15:51, Steve Kargl wrote:
This comes up every 9 months or so, and must be approaching FAQ status. In a HPC environment, I recommend 4BSD. Depending on the workload, ULE can cause a severe increase in turn around time when doing already long computations. If you have an MPI application, simply launching greater than ncpu+1 jobs can show the problem. PS: search the list archives for "kargl and ULE".

This isn't something that can be fixed by tuning ULE? For example for desktop applications kern.sched.preempt_thresh should be set to 224 from its default. I'm wondering if the installer should ask people what the typical use will be, and tune the scheduler appropriately.

--
Bruce Cran