On 31 December 2011 11:41, Dan Allen <danalle...@airwired.net> wrote:

> My Toshiba Satellite U205 used to work great with RELENG_7, but the boot code
> of RELENG_8 will not recognize the 2nd core of my Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo)
> processor.  Nobody seems to care as few machines have Core Duo, or few people
> use this era of Toshiba BIOS, or whatever.

.. and if this is a problem, a boot -v from both releng_7 and releng_8
would be a good starting point. Surely detecting the CPU cores would
be an easy thing to get right. Also, it may be a hyperthread CPU
"thing" - I recall some changes in the releng_8 timeframe because of
security vulnerabilities with classic hyperthreading and you have to
do something to enable it again.

Adrian