Alexander Leidinger wrote:
during some big discussions in the last monts on various lists, one of
the problems was that some people would like to use freebsd-update but
can't as they are using a custom kernel. With all the kernel modules we
provide, the need for a custom kernel should be small, but on the other
hand, we do not provide a small kernel-skeleton where you can load just
the modules you need.

This should be easy to change. As a first step I took the generic kernel
and removed all devices which are available as modules, e.g. the USB
section consists now only of the USB_DEBUG option (so that the module is
build like with the current generic kernel). I also removed some storage
drivers which are not available as a module. The rationale is, that I
can not remove CAM from the kernel config if I let those drivers inside
(if those drivers are important enough, someone will probably fix the
problem and add the missing pieces to generate a module).

Such a kernel would cover situations where people compile their own
kernel because they want to get rid of some unused kernel code (and
maybe even need the memory this frees up).

The question is, is this enough? Or asked differently, why are you
compiling a custom kernel in a production environment (so I rule out
debug options zhich are not enabled in GENERIC)? Are there options which
you add which you can not add as a module (SW_WATCHDOG comes to my
mind)? If yes, which ones and how important are they for you?

The list would be too long for me, that's a sample what I add to my MINIMAL after stripping GENERIC:

option DEVICE_POLLING
option BPF_JITTER
option DIRECTIO

option SC_ALT_MOUSE_IMAGE
option SC_MOUSE_CHAR=0x3

option ZERO_COPY_SOCKETS

option SW_WATCHDOG

option ALTQ
option ALTQ_CBQ
option ALTQ_RED
option ALTQ_RIO
option ALTQ_HFSC
option ALTQ_CDNR
option ALTQ_PRIQ
option ALTQ_NOPCC

device atpic
device mptable

I even don't use them on most machines however I prefer to build all machines from one kernel config however even this is impossible because for example I can't select scheduler by modules.

Some point can be superseded in future for example current work on ULE seems promising.

For example, why there are no modules for atpic and mptable? I don't need them on most machines but I can't load them at boot time.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.