Alexander Leidinger wrote:
Feasible: depend upon your definition of "feasible". You would have to
add all keymaps statically into the kernel. No idea which parts exactly
we talk about, but:
---snip---
% du -h /usr/share/syscons/
40k /usr/share/syscons/scrnmaps
570k /usr/share/syscons/fonts
1.1M /usr/share/syscons/keymaps
1.8M /usr/share/syscons/
---snip---

I wouldn't mind for 40k, but 1.8M looks more like the value to calculate
with. Anyway, this is out of the scope of the original question.

Correct me if I'm wrong but zfs already fetches plain file /boot/zfs/zpool.cache on load. Can't this be:

 1. Postponed to later processing.
 2. After filesystems are mounted the keymap is loaded.

Or even:

 1. Put all viable files on the / partition.
 2. Select and load correct one before kernel is fired.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.