sysutils/host-setup (written/maintained by me) is only good for the following
bits right now:

1. Time zone
2. Hostname/Domain
3. Network Interfaces
4. Default Router/Gateway
5. DNS nameservers

There's still quite a bit more that sysinstall(8) offered which isn't provided
by anything yet (sysutils/host-setup included).

> There's sade and I am working on a tool to browse and add packages from
> the installation media and / or the ftp mirrors.

Ron McDowell and I are working on a new tool named "bsdconfig(8)" which is very
modular and written in sh(1).

bsdconfig(8) is designed squarely at reimplementing all of the sysinstall(8)
post-install bits so that we can cleanly whack sysinstall(8) without the prior
complaints.

The portion of bsdconfig(8) that will handle browsing and adding of packages
from either the installation media or ftp mirrors is incomplete at the moment,
and we'd love it if you were willing to either:

(a) download the preliminary framework for bsdconfig(8) and start working on
the packages module, or

(b) join the SourceForge CVS project and start working on bsdconfig(8) in
realtime with Ron and I

NOTE: Choice of either option will result in further information being
disbursed for your digestive pleasure.

So far, bsdconfig(8) has the 8529 lines of code (counting all modules,
internationalization files, and Makefiles) with the following
modules/components (status listed for each):

1. Distributions

2. Documentation installation

3. Packages

4. Password

5. Fdisk
        Note: Could be linked directly to sade(8)

6. Disklabel
        Note: Could be linked directly to sade(8)

7. Login/Group Management

8. Console

9. Timezone

NOTE: Functionality shamelessly ripped from my ports addition: sysutils/tzdialog

10. Media Selection

11. Mouse

12. Networking Management

NOTE: Functionality shamelessly ripped from my ports addition:
sysutils/host-setup

13. Security

14. Startup

15. Ttys

I am currently working on the framework some more and then I'm going to jump
over to working on #14 "Startup".

As you can see from the above-list, we have quite a bit of functionality to
migrate from sysinstall(8) over to bsdconfig(8) -- however the most difficult
bits (user management, network management, and timezone have all been done so
the rest should fall like a house of cards -- especially since we have really
nice modular includes making the modules nice and light-weight).
--
Devin