On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 00:18:09 -0500, Konstantin Belousov <kostik...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a statement that is false at least two times, if not three.
This was a question about Kernel Binary Inteface, not Application
Binary Interface.

I actually did mean to say KBI instead of ABI :-/

First, we have zero guarantees about ability to load or have a system
survive loading of the module compiled against the later kernel.
Second, we do not have real KBI definition, and KBI stability is managed
only ad-hock. E.g. VFS quite often breaks, while network or disk controllers
drivers are usually fine.

I'll have to search my email but I had a conversation with someone whom I trusted (I believe within the FBSD project) that either mislead me or I misread what they were saying. Either way, thank you for the clarification.

YMMV. Snobby false statements hurt the project.

There was nothing snobby about it; I was merely using Linux as a point of reference since most *nix users should have experience with Linux rejecting kernel modules that weren't compiled against that exact kernel. I could very well have said Plan9 instead but it would be meaningless because nobody actually runs Plan9. :-)

Thanks again Konstantin :-)