On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, Adam Strohl wrote:

On 11/2/2012 23:47, Bas Smeelen wrote:
Hi

Why are journaled soft updates the default when installing a new system
from a 9.1-RC2 ISO?

I admit I did not pay too much attention when installing a new system
from an 9.1-RC2 ISO and found out when taking a snapshot with dump (dump
-0Lauf) to clone the system. Other systems (9-STABLE, 9.1-RC2 and
9.1-RC3) have been upgraded from 8.X-RELEASE and earlier, so there are
no journaled soft updates enabled, just soft updates, and well there
dump with snapshot works just fine.

Can SU+J be disabled for the 9.1-RELEASE or do you think this is not
going to be a problem for users of FreeBSD? I will have to boot these
two systems single user now to disable the soft updates journal, because
I use dump + restore on live systems, not a problem for me, it is just
an inconvenience.

I have to second this sentiment. Unless the dump/snapshot issue has been resolved they journal should be turned off by default.

+1

--
DE