On 11/26/12 22:27, Schaich Alonso wrote:
On 2012-11-26 (Monday) 22:15:27 Miroslav Lachman wrote:
[...]

So a kernel alone has 12MB, with debug symbols 62MB (12+50).
And all *.symbols files can be deleted (if more space on /boot is needed)
I don't know how it should be mentioned in FAQ.

Miroslav Lachman
Specifying WITHOUT_KERNEL_SYMBOLS=YES in src.conf to not generate debug
information IMO is a cleaner and more preferable solution then deleting the
files, and it also reduces the amount of storage space needed for /usr/obj (or
whereever else the kernel's built) by about 1GB on STABLE-9.

Thanks for this (man 5 src.conf)
I guess this way is preferred instead of customizing the kernel configuration file? From the manpage I understand the symbol files will not get installed, but will still be build. To decrease building time, one should modify the kernel configuration file anyway?