On 02/12/2013 02:59 AM, kpn...@pobox.com wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:43:55AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Panagiotis Christias

I suppose trying an 8.3 installation would be the easiest way to use MBR
instead of GPT, right;

That would do it, but 9.1 is perfectly happy doing MBR. It's just not
the default.

Seems like many BIOSes assume that GPT=uEFI. Clearly this is silly, but...

I know Lenovo laptops have this problem and it is VERY annoying. I run
FreeBSD on a GPT disk on my ThinkPad, but I have booteasy installed on
an MBR disk (which contains W7) and my BIOS is set to boot from that
disk.BootEasy then will boot up the GPT disk with FreeBSD.

Doesn't GPT start with an MBR covering the entire disk? How feasible would
it be to tweak that MBR so that a boot partition was listed in it? Say, a
partition holding the root filesystem could be listed in both the GPT and
MBR style. Then a disk could be booted with MBR or GPT at the whim of the
firmware.

I agree that this BIOS=MBR/UEFI=GPT assumption is pure rubbish. I've got
machines with this documented restriction and I'd love a way around it.

It is feasible, it's known as a hybrid MBR. On Linux I've accomplished this using the gdisk utility, I don't know how it can be done on FreeBSD though. I had to use this ugly solution in order to install windows 8 on a GPT disk on a pc without UEFI support.