So I have this VM which only has 256 MB of memory and 9.1-R installed. I want to update it to RELENG_9, but buildworld swaps so bad it grinds nearly to a halt. Even make -j1 -B runs into very heavy swapping. So two questions:

1. Is there anything I can do to set a limit on how much memory the compiler uses?

2. If I crossbuild for this machine, can I get away with doing buildworld on a buildbox, ship the obj tree, and do installworld and mergemaster on the VM? It's been a few enternities since I did a cross build and back then it was crossbuilding releases.