On 14/06/2013, at 17:05, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, zpool(8) will do exactly what you tell it to do. It does
>> not know about any partitioning schemes and assumes that the user
>> knows that using labelclear on a the whole disk will potentially
>> destroy all data on it including any partitioning information.
>>
> Well as i found out, zpool(8) does not know what it clears. ! :D
>
> I think an adjustment to the man page is in order here.
> The man page clearly state it removes ZFS labels, not GPT, gmirror and glabel
> labels.
> It should mention it will remove labels from the disk/device, and that it
> clears ALL labels.
>
> If a user reads the man page it now looks save to use labelclear.
> I thougt that zpool would know if there was zpool label information on the
> disk, and if i a case there is no ZFS label information it will tell me that!
> In my case i did not loose anything, so no big deal but there will proberbly
> be someone who gets bitten by this.
>
> A plus is that  i found a new way to clear my disks fast ! ;)

It only clears ZFS labels, just because GPT & gmirror information sits in a
similar place doesn't make that incorrect.

You are saying the equivalent of..
Why does "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0" erase my whole disk, not just the first
partition?

ie you are giving the tool bad options and then complaining when it doesn't do
what you meant :)

Perhaps it should be modified to check if there is valid ZFS data there before
proceeding (although that could be annoying unless there is a way to force it),
and/or the man page could be amended to say it doesn't do any checks before
erasing things.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum