In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gabriel Ambuehl  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Friday, July 21, 2000, 10:13:59 AM, you wrote:
> > I was only adding a comment that one of the mirror owners made. The
> > checking of the MD5 signature was supposed to be the limiting factor.
[...]
> What about having cached MD5 sigs on the server as well as on the
> client (tough there's the problem with the people who like to patch
> their sources, but anyway)? I mean you only need to regenerate them
> when you update a file...

Before this thread goes too far, let me tell you that I don't think
the cost of the MD5 calculations is at all significant.  In my CVSup
profiling tests the MD5 calculation has never even made a blip on the
radar screen.  Calculating an MD5 signature is very cheap.  It takes
less CPU time than the venerable "sum" command.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]