On Aug 3, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Alban Hertroys <haram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 August 2015 at 15:01, Paul Mather <freebsd-li...@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
> wrote:

> FYI: I had been experiencing the same with a 2 TB WD MyBook on OS X
> (Mavericks). The drive was being used for Time Machine backups, but it
> would at irregular intervals it would just 'disconnect' itself. My
> guess is that there's a firmware problem in the USB3 chip in those
> drives.
>
> After trying to get the issue fixed for almost half a year I returned
> it and replaced it by a Seagate, which has been working flawlessly
> ever since.
>
> I'm just saying, perhaps the problem isn't with FreeBSD but with the drive.

I'd love just to get to the "randomly disconnects" stage under FreeBSD at this
point. :-)

Up to now, I have been unable to read ANY data off the drive under FreeBSD,
either via USB 2 or USB 3. :-(

However, you have given me something to think about: does anyone know of a 4 TB
USB 2 or 3 drive that will work reliably under FreeBSD 10-STABLE right now?

Cheers,

Paul.