On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 21:07:55 +0200, Tim Daneliuk <tun...@tundraware.com> wrote:

On 08/14/2015 12:39 PM, Warren Block wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I just built a 10.2 machine on a cloud-based VPS (Digital Ocean) that has 512M of memory and 1G of swap partition. I am seeing a ton of errors like
this:

Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(10): failed
Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(14): failed
Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(11): failed
Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(6): failed
Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(7): failed
Aug 14 00:01:22 myhost last message repeated 2 times

So, I added this to fstab (after creating /usr/swap0):

md99    none    swap    sw,file=/usr/swap0    0    0

And then did this:

swapon -aq

But, when I do a swapinfo, all I can see is the "disk" swap partition
that comes standard with the VPS:

Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/gpt/swapfs   1048576   456572   592004    44%

Add the -L (late) option to swapon. How this works might differ between 10-Release, 10-Stable, and 11.

Incidentally, md99 does not have to be literal, it's just meant to get the md device number up out of the way of common interactive usage of mdconfig.

So -L does fix the problem - sort of.  The machine picks up the file as
additional swap on boot just fine.  HWOEVER, when I try to reboot or shut
down the host, I get a panic telling me some noise about not being able
to shutdown swap for some reason.

It helps if you provide the exact text of the panic. People regularly don't get to see these inside there crystal ball. ;-) You call it noise. Others might get an helpful hint from it to help you.

Regards,
Ronald.

So ... I decided to just add a second disk partition for swap and -
for some reason - it works fine interactively, but upon reboot,
the newly created swap partition no longer exists and gpart shows
the space as free again.  I tried a gpart commit, but get
"operation not permitted".  So now I am trying to figure out
how to make gpart changes stick.  This may be an artifact of
the way Digital Ocean droplets are set up ....

Grrrrrrrr