> On Aug 27, 2015, at 9:23 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 01:12:16PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> ia64 stable/10 r286315 boots, but
>> r286316 hangs at "Entering /boot/kernel/kernel".
>>
>> Please advise
>
> To state an obvious thing.  The commit which you pointed to, changes
> the code which is not executed at that early kernel boot stage.  The
> revision cannot cause the consequences you described.

Failures may not always be obvious. The ia64 kernel has a fixed array
for relocations and a harmless piece of code, which may actually never
be called, could result in additional relocations that case the array
to overflow and do bad things on boot.

All I’m saying is: give Anton the benefit of the doubt. He has spent
a lot of time with ia64 and knows quite a bit about its behavior. We
simply do not know what’s going on and he has provided us with a lead.
We go from there...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
mar...@xcllnt.net