On Sep 23, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Michael Loftis <mlof...@wgops.com> wrote:

> Sendmail for one can hang for stupidly long times waiting in dead resolvers
> before allowing the system to continue booting.

So replace it with Postfix? I've been using it (on Debian Linux) for decades
without any problems. AFAIK, it doesn't do anything pathological like that. It
just reads its config and starts waiting for email.

> That's the most common thing, RC scripts hanging waiting on external
> resources while you're locked out simply because sshd starts ridiculously
> late. Very common problem.

If properly configed, shouldn't things come up in order, with their
dependencies already running? Or is specifying boot order not possible on FBSD?

I can certainly understand the possible need for SSH, just for incase, but I'd
think things could be set to do stuff in the proper order. Except for cyclic
dependencies, of course -- a significant bug for the maintainers.

--
Glenn English