I've had problems with freebsd-update for many years now. It is by far the
least reliable component of FreeBSD since I started with the operating system
back at 3.4 in 1999.

Anyhow, I'm usually able to get past the exceedingly slow downloads and errors
to the upgrade process, but this time nothing I do will get me to the end. I've
tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update but several hours later I was at the same
place again. The internet link is fast, but with a web proxy in this location,
some downloads are slightly delayed while the virus scanner on the proxy does
its thing. Perhaps 3-5 seconds delayed.

I've run the update maybe a dozen times, progressing a few patches each time.
But it will always fetch 64 patches and then the number of files to fetch will
drop by 5-25

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.2 -s update.freebsd.org
Looking up update.freebsd.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base world/doc world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/games

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Fetching files from 9.3-RELEASE for merging... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Fetching 64 patches.....10....20....30....40....50....60.. done.
Applying patches... done.
Fetching 1834 files...
109e9b1e3e8719aa81bc06e4c4c8dc642db7137ea8330f11f70b8e91524afef7 has incorrect
hash.

Different file each time with an incorrect hash. So it will make very slow
progress. Oddly, it had no issue downloading the 10,000 patches it needed,
except for the last 64. No idea why it downloads them again and again each time
I attempt this.

Are there any ways to manually dump the right files in the right place? When I
run phttpget by hand, I have no trouble very quickly downloading the files it
seems to want. But how do I trick the system into skipping downloading them
again?

phttpget has no man pages, so I've been unable to get it to spit out any more
verbose options.

Thanks
Ari

--