I upgraded from 9.? to 10.2. I used a custom kernel to avoid vt and raster fonts in sc. I updated as many ports as would build.

Now I cannot find an editor that will display my files with accent characters correctly. I know the files are still iso-8859-1 because they are the same size they were and when I cat them, they have the right characters in them. This also shows that my term (cons25l1) can display the characters correctly. But joe, joe2, ee, and pico-alpine seem to convert them to some kind of UTF mess, with two bytes which display as grey blocks.

I have tried using LC_ALL and LANG as en_US.iso-8859-1 in .login_conf, and unsetting them, I have tried several screen maps.

How far back do I have to downgrade to eliminate UTF from my system entirely? I don't care if I can't run a gui. I just want an editor that will open iso-8859-1 as iso-8859-1 and not any 2-byte whatever, and will display accented characters correctly, as cat does.

I will never want to use sanskrit or Chinese characters. I just want Western European characters and I do not want to waste two bytes on them. I want to use the VGA characters, which the experiment with cat demonstrates are on my video card and do work. I do not want unreadable
raster fonts.