> On 27 Sep 2016, at 15:48, Jan Henrik Sylvester <m...@janh.de> wrote:
>
> On 09/27/2016 12:16, Borja Marcos wrote:
>> I have noticed that the GENERIC kernel in 11-STABLE includes the PCI_HP
>> option, and the
>> hotplug bits seem to be present in the kernel, but I don’t see any userland
>> support for it.
>>
>> Is it somewhat complete and in that case am I missing something?
>
> I do not know kind of userland support you mean. I just tried:
>
> Plugging in my USB 3.0 ExpressCard while 11.0 is running, the controller
> was detected and I was able to use USB devices with it. Great.

Thanks :)

I was hoping (and I assume it’s the ultimate goal of the project) to be able to
hot plug
PCIe devices such as NVMe drives.

On Solaris you can replace them provided you power them off previously (there’s
a command
for that, “hotplug”).

On FreeBSD I’ve tried using devctl but powering off, disabling a device and
enabling it
again has led to a panic.

Interestingly, I disabled nvme0 using devctl and "nvmecontrol devlist" didn’t
find any
nvme controllers despite having 10 controllers and 10 drives. However, the ZFS
pool of 10
NVMe drives was working happily. Degraded of course, with one NVMe missing.

Borja.