On 02/03/2018 04:18 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> Swapping whole processes out is not really a thing any more.
> Individual pages are paged to/from memory; if a memory page has no
> backing file, it will be allocated a block in swap space as its
> backing storage.

Is there a method to determine what swap contents are connected to, if
looking at processes is no longer "a thing"? I have great confidence in
the wonderful FreeBSD documentation, but I find nothing (quickly) in the
manual pages.

> (I'm not sure "W" status even means swap; I thought whole-process
> swapping wasn't even supported any more.)

The manpage for ps(1), (which I'm sure you're aware of!) describes the
"state" field and its multiple characters and their meanings... that's
what I used for reference.

"W" as 1st character means "idle interrupt thread [of the kernel]."
Subsequent W characters imply swapped-out processes. In subsequent
characters a W indicates that a PID is swapped out.

Thanks for your reply,

--MCV.