"Sergey A. Ivanov" wrote:

> Hello Gregory,
> Tuesday, August 01, 2000, 11:25:28 AM, you wrote:
>
> >>   Are there any limits for size/quantity of partitions at freebsd
> >> slice?
>
> GB> 4 slices per disk, 8 partitions per slice (by convention, partition "c" covers
> GB> the whole disk so usually only 7 usable partitions).
>
> GB> AFAIK FreeBSD cannot use the so-called "extended partitions" (i.e.
> GB> slices-within-slices).

    As I wrote to Gregory, the "AFAIK" part isn't true.  You
*can* create and use partitions in the "extended partition".  I have two of them
mounted right now.  :-)

> I'm tried create new partition on slice with >5Gb free space and failed.
> Partition with 4096Mb was created successfully. Now i have 5
> partitions on this slice and can't create new for rest 1+ Gb :(
> Slice (as i can remember) is more than 8Gb, HDD is IBM SCSI 18Gb.

    I don't know why this didn't work for you.  Right now, My

/usr is 17.7GB, and /export is 16.7GB.  There are 5GB free

on the disk in an unused FAT partition, just in case I need to

install "another" OS.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)