I seem to have the same issue with the PowerPC CD (since the alpha stage
images). It will show up in the boot menu but once selected it doesn’t work at
all, just inverts colors. Tested on both my G5 DP and eMac G4, which the latter
works only on the now obsolete 10.4 and current 11.1. 11.2 doesn’t boot all the
way (hangs at cryptosoft0 in the boot sequence)

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, December 2, 2018, 7:23 PM, Rick Macklem <rmack...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

miltonott wrote:
>>On Sat Dec 1 21:51:05 UTC 2018 CenturyLink Customer wrote:
>>> Hello all:Sorry, this old Pentium  4 refurbished test machine has been
>>> obstinate
>>> during ALPHA, BETA, and now RC.I had a workaround using the BTX bootloader
>>> from
>>> ALPHA8 and pasted it into BETA3; meanwhile,remastering the .iso disk
>>> afterwards.
I have booted a FreeBSD-12.0-RC2-i386-bootonly.iso disk on a Pentium 4
without difficulty. For RC2, the "..disc1.iso" looked too big for a 700Mbyte CD.
(I haven't tried RC3, but I doubt there is much difference?)

>> miltonott wrote:
>>  My lord, I send greetings. I have a mind to try
>>FreeBSD-12.0-RC3-i386-disc1.iso,
>> and willingness to report back my  experience.  The  get-at-able  hardware
>> gives:
>> 686 class Pentium 4 (socket 775), 686 class Celeron (socket 370).
>
>  My guvnor, I have zero writable cd media at this time.  I  grabbed  the  dvd
> iso:
>FreeBSD-12.0-RC3-i386-dvd1.iso. I can say the boot run its course and  served
>up  a
>login prompt with considerable aplomb. The contents of  /var/run/dmesg.boot
>can  >be
>viewed at ` http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4625 `.

rick
ps: For Release candidates, it is probably better to post to freebsd-current@.